Mechanics and Game Modes Introduction
How can I play together with my friend?
You have to open a private online lobby via Play Game>Online>Create Private Lobby or you have to stay in any (public) lobby with less than 4 players. Your friend can then join you by either
- entering the session ID after navigating in game to Play Game>Online>Join Private Lobby,
- right-clicking you in your Steam friends list and then clicking on Join Game,
- or clicking on your discord icon and the clicking on Ask to Join,
Or, while being in the lobby, you can click on the + in the discord message bar and on Invite <channel> to play Unrailed! to send an invite out to a channel.
Can I play with multiple local players online
Yes! You can join with multiple local players any online game such that it has overall not more than four player. Just join all local players before joining an online lobby. Note that you can for example play with two local players online against two other players playing locally at another device.
Can I play across Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC (Cross Play)?
"We are looking into it and would love add it. It definitely won't be available from the start. We'll update the community as soon as we have more information."
PlayStation, Xbox Steam, Nintendo Switch players can play together online (crossplay). To join a private lobby, you must know the lobby's ID code. You can find sessions via the official session browser website or ingame with the Steam version.
Controls/Input & Emojis
We support 1 keyboard and up to 4 controllers. Furthermore each input device can be used as two using the Split Input button. Keyboard controls can be remapped by following the instructions found in the #faq channel of the Official Unrailed! Discord Server.
[Image by SkipperTheBoss]
This is the default controller configuration.
How to do emotes / emojis in game
On keyboard [CTRL] or [E] opens the emoji wheel in-game and [SPACE] switches pages. With a controller, you can open the menu by pressing the [L] trigger (1st page) or [R] trigger (2nd page). To switch pages (and also access the 3rd page), press the [Right Analog Stick]. The first 2 pages of emojis all have keyboard keybinds for quicker accessibility. See the keyboard map above or the emoji cheatsheet below:
[Image by Konjac Potage]
How can I remap the keyboard bindings?
Put a keyboardremapsingle.txt, keyboardremapleft.txt or keyboardremapright.txt into
- %localappdata%\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\Unrailed\GameState\AllPlayers (Windows)
- Library/Application Support/UnrailedGame/GameState/AllPlayers/ (MacOS)
- ~/.local/share/UnrailedGame/GameSate/AllPlayers (Linux)
An example can be found here: File:keyboardremapsingle.txt. Note that all lines starting with # are comments and not active. If you want to change the EmojiTrigger button to [P], add the line:
The game runs with suboptimal FPS or has micro lags
Either lower your graphic or add the launch option --force-opengl by right clicking on Unrailed in your Steam library, and going to General>Set Launch Options.
How can I change the graphics settings?
- From the main menu walk and click on Settings>Graphics.
- If the game is running to slow to change it in game, then in
- %localappdata%\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\Unrailed\GameState\AllPlayers\settings.txt (Windows)
- Library/Application Support/UnrailedGame/GameState/AllPlayers/settings.txt (MacOS)
- ~/.local/share/UnrailedGame/GameSate/AllPlayers/settings.txt (Linux)
you can find a line “quality x” where x is a number. Change x to 0 for low settings.
How can I move the in-game status bar showing the distance, train speed and tasks to the right
When playing on a widescreen monitor while streaming, you might want to see the status bar in the center of your screen(s). For that, you can edit the settings.txt (see above where to find it) and add (or modify if existing)
to move the taskbar x pixels to the right.
Startup / Crashes
My game does not start from Steam
Here a summary of what helped many people if the game does not start:
- (If you have a M1 mac) Follow the instructons here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1016920/discussions/3/3113644379489050878/
- Verify files via steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)
- Try to start as with the following launch option (right click on the title, set launch options...): "--force-opengl" (without quotes and remove it again if it does not help)
- (Windows only) Repair/Reinstall the C++ Redistributable 2013 (64bit version) https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784
- (Windows only) Repair/Reinstall .net framework 4.8 or newer https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48
- Update your graphics card drivers
If none of the points helped and you're running Windows, please:
- Look for .dmp files in %localappdata%\Daedalic Entertainment GmbH\Unrailed\GameState\AllPlayers and look for the the most recent one.
If there are no .dmp files, open the windows error log ([Win]+[R] and enter eventvwr, check under "Application") and look for errors occuring during the startup and send me all details.
- Open dxdiag ([Win]+[R] and enter dxdiag) and click "Save all informations... " and send me the file.
Post the files in Discord (https://discord.gg/unrailed) under #bugs.